8 Benefits of Investing in a Generator
8 Benefits of Investing in a Generator
Thinking about investing in a generator for your home or business? Even when you’re notified in advance, there is nothing more annoying and inconvenient than a power outage. Lost work time, spoiled food loss of heating and cooling, etc. Although initial costs can be high, there are major benefits to investing in a generator for your home or business. In addition to giving you peace of mind that you will be able to keep your lights on and charge your devices when the power goes out, you can also save money by preventing your food from spoiling and guaranteeing that your major digital systems will not face disruption. Consider the following points as you decide weather or not you are ready to expend the money on installation.
- Standby generators kick within seconds of a power outage. Your neighbors could be waiting hours, days or even longer for the utility company to restore the power, but your electricity will be back on in seconds. Generators often time warm up and start generating power within 10 to 20 seconds.
- When power comes back on, the transition will be smooth. Standby generators help to smooth the transition from generator power back to utility-generated power. These units typically run for a few minutes after the utility company gets the electricity back up and running, to ensure that the power is indeed stable enough to power your home. Once the motor has cooled a bit and the demand for power has transitioned to the utility lines, the generator shuts itself off.
- You can charge your devices and use them with Wi-Fi. So many people have digital devices that they use to communicate with others as well as entertain themselves. You will be able to re-charge your phones, laptops, tablets, etc. if their batteries die before the power is restored. No need to rely on charging them to full capacity in advance! Your internet router will also remain functional, so you won’t have to worry about using all your monthly data while scrolling.
- There will be little to no disruption in your daily routine. Not only will you be able to watch TV and listen to music, but you will be able to use your electric stovetop and have hot water for bathing and other usage. With a standby generator, you likely won’t even have to get up out of your seat to get the power back on. They kick on automatically, so no dragging out a portable generator or searching for extension cords.
- There will be no lapse in security camera coverage. With a standby generator, the security of your business or commercial property will not be compromised due to a lack of connectivity or or functioning cameras. Your backup power source will kick on so quickly that there may be no pause in the recording at all.
- Prevent food loss from spoiling. Individuals and families can spend hundreds of dollars a month on food that is kept in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent them from going bad. When the power goes out for a period of more than a few hours, food get warm or thaw out completely, exposing it to harmful bacteria that thrives without the protection of refrigeration. The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services recommends discarding any perishable foods that have gone without refrigeration for more than 4 hours.
- Generators keep sump pumps working properly. If you have a sump pump in your basement to prevent flooding, you may have to worry about potential flooding issues from a power loss, especially if the loss of power was brought upon by a storm. A generator keeps the sump pump running, which could mean less damage from whatever weather conditions knocked out the power grid.
- You never know when you need backup power. There are many reasons that the power might go out. From severe weather to natural disasters, auto accidents damaging electrical poles, even rodents gnawing on connection wires, no one can predict with certainty when there might be a power outage and how long it will last.
Contact Ryan Gath Electric For a FREE Installation Estimate
So whether you’re building a new home or looking to add a generator to your emergency kit, there are many considerations in deciding if you are going to move forward with investing in a generator. For a business owner running computer systems or electric tools, a generator is an investment that can help employees get more done. For homeowners, the investment into a generator (whether a permanent standby model or a portable unit) might just pay off by preventing expensive home damage and loss that could result from a power outage.
If are unsure of which generator model is right for your home or business, just give us a call. Ryan Gath Electric specializes in the installation of automatic generators throughout all of eastern Massachusetts as well as southern New Hampshire and southern Maine, providing home and business owners with a safe source of electricity they can rely on when the power goes out. We are factory-authorized Generac installers, and offer flexible financing options subject to credit approval! We’ll help you through the whole process and get you a unit that fits both your needs and your budget.
Please check with lender for up-to-date terms, conditions and eligibility requirements. Information on this page is subject to change. Ryan Gath Electric is not responsible for the terms and conditions of third party lenders, or the accuracy of this page.